Abraham Lincoln Pole
In 1868 the US Government built a fort on Tongass Island and assigned a revenue cutter named the Lincoln to the area. At the time, the Kagwantan Eagles and the Tongass Ravens were at war. The Eagles drove the Ravens onto a small island with little food and no water. When the Lincoln arrived at the island, the two groups made peace under the shelter of its guns. This pole was carved to commemorate the event. The Tlingit refer to it as the proud raven pole because of the raven at its base. The pole pictured here is a replica; the original is now in the Alaska State Museum in Juneau.